HOW TO PERFORM DROPTECH COVID RAPID ANTIGEN TEST
Prerequisites to successful COVID-19 rapid antigen test
COVID rapid antigen test location
COVID-19 rapid antigen test using DropTech is quick. It gives results in less than 15 minutes, does not have to be processed in a laboratory and no test-reader equipment is required. The COVID rapid antigen test by DropTech is suitable for use in near-patient (point-of-care) settings, including for example clinical settings, or community and commercial settings where close contact with individuals is likely. 
Pre COVID Test Protocol
- Obtain and record patient contact identifier data.
- Assess pre-test probability of infection.
- Prepare for the appropriate response if positive results are encountered.
- Establish access to confirmatory testing procedures.
- Establish access to notify a contact tracing team.
- Obtain clinical support on ‘invalid’ results.
Pre-Test Safety Protocols
The ultimate responsibility of the control in quality of the point-of-care (POC) testing location lies with the service provider. Adequate infection control measures should be in place according to current guidelines, which include but are not limited to:
- A hand-washing facility.
- Personal protective equipment (PPE) including masks, vizors, gloves and aprons.
- Clinical waste disposal facility.
- Adequate distancing between patients.
- Disinfection materials or substances for after each test.
DropTech is a rapid test that is relatively easy to perform and interpret. The DropTech COVID rapid antigen test requires visual interpretation by the operator. All test operators must have training in sample collection, relevant biosafety, performance of the test as well as interpretation and reporting of results.
DropTech Rapid Antigen Detection Test kit is for professional use only.
Please follow the below instructions when performing rapid antigen detection test.
Performing COVID-19 Rapid Antigen Test
Swab Sample Collection
In Ireland, for adults we recommend nasal or throat swabs. For children in the community, a nasal swab is acceptable. You can download instructions for use here
Method #1:Throat Swab
- Insert the swab horizontally through the mouth to reach the back of the throat.
- Gently rub or twist to collect mucous.
- Remove the swab and avoid touching the patient’s tongue.
Method #2: Nasal Swab
- Gently insert the swab into the nostril reaching the posterior surface of the nasopharynx.
- Rotate the swab a few times to collect mucous and then withdraw.
Test Specimen Extraction
- Using the provided pipette add 10 drops of the reagent into the extraction tube.
- Insert the swab into the extraction tube and swirl at least 6 times while pressing the tip against the bottom and sides.
- Leave the swab in the extraction tube for 1 minute gently squeezing the tube several times to make sure the swab is fully soaked with the reagent.
- Remove the swab from the tube.
- The solution is now ready for testing.
- Place the dropper cap on the tube.
COVID-19 Detection Stage
- Open a pouch containing a test cassette.
- Place the cassette on a dry, level work surface.
- Add 2 drops of this extracted solution to the sample-well of the cassette.
- Observe the results within 10-15 minutes.
- Results interpreted after 15 minutes have no clinical significance.